Re: [Evolution] Transferring evolution files?

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 10:11 -0600, Leonard Evens wrote:
I am setting up a new computer.

What is the safest and most convenient way to transfer my evolution
files from the old one to the new one?   The old one is running Fedora
12 and the new one Fedora 14.

I was just going to tar .evolution on the old computer, scp it to the
new computer and then untar it.

As Adam suggested, and I had already found myself on the web, one can
just use File> Backup.  That created a tar file which I scp'd to the new
computer.  Then when I started evolution, the setup dialog offered to
restore from a backup file, and I chose that.  At first I thought it
hadn't worked, but what was confusing me was that when evolution came up,
it brought up my calendar, and I was expecting the mail screen.  But I
figured that  out after a short pause, and when I went to mail, it
looked all right.

I am composing this on the new system.

Added later.  It apparently even took care of setting up my out going
server option correctly.  That requires using port 587 for the outgoing server.
With the default port 25,  my isp comcast blocks outgoing mail which it
assumes is spam.

All told, this made what could have been a arduous and painful task very simple.