[Evolution] Opening Evolution contact in address book freezes Evolution, Gnome

I was experiencing something similar. Still am perhaps, it's not quite
as reliable as yours is, though if I started it in Calendar or Address
Book tab, or else quickly switched to those it would freeze the whole
desktop and require switching to VT1 to kill it.

I ran gdb evolution but was almost always unable to reproduce the
lockup. Just once I got a useful (seemingly message)

Program received signal SIGSEV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007fffef0bf001 in g_type_check_instance_cast ()
 from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0

Haven't tried a strace on it yet, because like I said I can't reliably
reproduce. What I did notice was the when running from the terminal I
rarely got lockups, and when launching from the menu pretty frequent
lockups. I changed the launcher from command "evolution
--component-mail" or something like that, to just "evolution". It
seems to have helped, though I haven't bee testing it out long enough
to be sure.

Regards,
AM