[Evolution] Tracker [Was: Re: Searching emails?]

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 07:55 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 12:57 +0100, Michael Below wrote:
Am Do 24 Feb 2011 06:28:39 CET
schrieb Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org>:
On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 11:09 +0100, Michael Below wrote:
Am Do 24 Feb 2011 09:31:58 CET
schrieb Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk>:
Any suggestions? I want a fully indexed search and would like
to be able to specify all the "common" attributes.
The other alternative is to use something like Beagle - that will
index Evo messages (and just about everything else on your
computer)
- and in the process suck all your CPU time and memory :-)
Beagle isn't the only search tool/indexer, and it's use seems to
be declining in recent years, but I *know* it will index Evo
messages.
I tried beagle, tracker & co for desktop searc with little success:
Agree.
Beagle is broken for some recent document formats and Evolution mail.
Tracker, at least the version on openSUSE 11.3, seems broken for
everything but plain text and markup.   It doesn't even work for PDF
files, which really hurts. It does *index* e-mail, at least it appears
to, but there is no way to *search* e-mail.
A bit of testing shows that currently my version [of Tracker] does not
index PDF or OpenOffice documents.  But it does index Microsoft Office
documents.

I figured this issue was worth 15 minutes of poking around... so I
bumped by tracker to 0.9.14 from obs://build.opensuse.org/GNOME and...
it now indexes PDFs [again].  Excellent.