Re: [Evolution] Searching emails?

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 06:12 +0100, Thomas Mittelstaedt wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 23.02.2011, 15:49 +0100 schrieb Thomas Novin:
Hello

I constantly have a need for searching through my emails. For my Gmail
account I usually go to Gmail Webmail which has a very advanced way of
doing this (if you know the search filters) and it's extremely fast.

For my other account which is an IMAP-connection to an Exchange-server I
can only search from within Evolution. Since the search function is
limited,

What do you mean by "limited"?

No so much limited by number of searches you can do, more that I find
that it often doesn't work or is extremely slow. I just now did a  body
search for 'distributed' in "Current Accounts". After 5 minutes I shut
down Evolution because I didn't want to wait any longer. No real CPU
usage either so I doubt much was going on.

Then instead did the search with grep. In < 5 secs it was done with two
matches.

In Gmail search this was completed < 3 sec with lots of more matches.
Probably because that search is case insensitive.

right now my best way is to 'grep -ri <query>' in
~/.local/share/evolution/mail/imap/xxx'. For example, doing a body
search in Evolution in "Current Account" will show nothing from a search
that gives 100s of matches with grep.

I tried Google Desktop but it would only index emails from Thunderbird,
not Evolution.

Any suggestions? I want a fully indexed search and would like to be able
to specify all the "common" attributes.

Btw, I'm on Evolution 2.32.2.

Rgds//Thomas

Tracker also scans evolution mails, see
http://projects.gnome.org/tracker/.

Tracker has been very broken in the past but now I noticed there is a
0.10 version just released. I will try it as soon as I find a good way
to install it on Ubuntu.

Rgds//Thomas