Re: [Evolution] Automatically changing "from" address depending on "to" header

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 09:13 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 14:30 +0900, Michael wrote:
I constantly wish to respond to emails with the "From" address set to
the same as the "To" header, where the email was received to.
For example, I might have example.org as my domain. I have set-up
evolution to have the main account as <michael example org>. However, I
have a catch-all set up on the example.org domain, so that all emails
are sent to <michael example org>. This means I can give a different
email address to every person/organisation, who I want to be able to
distinguish
The government might get <ineednogov example org>, and that dodgy spam
company might get <buggeroff example org>, and the hotel I stayed at for
one night that insisted I had an email address when I booked online, and
that I will never stay at again, might get <hotelcal example org>.
The advantage of the catch-all is that I can make up an address on the
spot, and I don't have to register it anywhere.
The trouble is, that sometimes I want to respond to these emails, but
without using my main account. ATM I've got a send only account that I
change the email address of every time I want to send an email. I don't
want to have to set up an account for every possible email (because by
this stage I've probably got over 100).
What I would really like is a way for Evolution to check the "To"
address when I hit reply on an email, and auto-insert that into the
"From" field (or at least have it as an option).
Does anyone have any idea of how I might accomplish this?
I guess you could in theory do it with an output filter. Alternatively,
you could set up a local MTA to do the conversion for you. Either way,
it sounds like quite a bit of work

Or, simpler, don't use e-mail that way.  There really isn't any point to
what you describe - maybe you've convinced yourself there is - but
you're wrong.  It is just an enormous fruitless effort;  of course, of
the people I've met who do what you describe... none of them ever listen
to this suggestions.

Aside: NO that isn't an effective SPAM management technique.  Take this
from someone who has had *ONE* e-mail address since e-mail was delivered
via UUCP and has *never* hidden it... and is *not* inundated with SPAM.

For the purposes of "give a different email address to every
person/organisation" why not just filter on sender [like everyone else
does]?