Re: [Evolution] Using this mailing list?

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 07:55 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:
If using evolution as my mail agent, and I choose Group Reply to respond

I assume "Group Reply" means Ctrl+L [aka "Reply to List"].

to a message, the primary To address ends up being the person who
responded with CC containing the mailing list address.  With most other
mailing lists, it only goes to the group.   Of course, it then is sent
to those who subscribe, so perhaps it doesn't make any difference.  But,
in the past some people have objected to the mail seemingly being
directed privately to them.

This is probably *other* people replying to the list either incorrectly
or with inferior user agents;  when *they* Reply-To-All to respond to a
list you will frequently end up with the list address in the CC: when
you reply to their borked reply.  Listserv software is typically [for
good reason] hesitant to do a great deal of message mangling [to fix or
replace headers, for example].

Yes, it is 2011, and you'd imagine that most people knew how to use
e-mail at this point -- you'd be wrong.

I always use Ctrl+L to respond to a list message and just Ctrl-X +
Ctrl-V [cut-n-paste] to fix it when it is borked.  But I don't have any
issues with someone who just hits Ctrl+L and goes with it.  On mobile
devices [like K-9 <http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/> on Android] it is
just too hard to fix.