Re: [Evolution] A Digression on Digests

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 07:17 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 18:15 +1000, Nick Jenkins wrote:
[...]
The software also makes is hard to
do the right thing if you are reading digests (requiring people to start
a new message, not a reply, and make sure it's in text format not HTML,
and manually copy the subject header, and manually add a "Re: ", and
manually copy plus ctrl-shift-v paste the quoted message text above it,
then crop the message, then manually insert the reply inline below the
relevant quoted text). That's a 7-step manual process, and if they do
any of this wrong, we yell at them. And then we're surprised that this
keeps happening?!
You seem to have missed the point somewhat. All the above steps are a
waste of time, because you're still replying to a digest. No amount of
cutting, pasting and fiddling with formats will make this right unless
you also change the In-Reply-To header,

All true; but honestly I still think the software [and not just
Evolution] is at fault.  But e-mail is close to ruined at this point
except in forums when the 'fascists' haven't given sway [yet].  All
e-mail software should thread, by the reply-to chain, always thread, and
never allow users to disable threading.  Most e-mail users have no-clue
what a "thread" even is, don't use threaded views; and who can really
blame them?  For ages and ages threading in many clients *did not work*,
it was rarely if ever the default, and rarely if even mentioned in
documentation or training.  And now gmail has made the situation even
worse.

which is the only thing that
matters to threading. That's why I'm so emphatic: don't reply to
digests, ever. Use the mailer's facility to reply to the digest
component, or if it doesn't have such a function use Gmane or one of the
other news<->mail gateways to reply to the specific message.
Nevertheless, the best solution is simply not to use digests at all
unless your only interest is in reading or archiving the list without
ever wanting to reply to a message.

Personally, I can't understand why anyone would even want to *read*
digest messages.

If we want to prevent this from happening, to stop having the same
ground-hog day discussion yet again, then "the right thing" should be
easy and it should be the default, and "the wrong thing" should be hard
and should require malicious deliberate intent.

Agree.

There we agree, hence the suggestion in my post.
 We can debate the merits
of digests and whether they should exist, but the fact is that they DO
exist in the real world, and the software should deal with them without
making it easy for users to look bad.

True.  But do you think an 'enhancement' to grey-out Reply-To when
viewing a digest message has a change of being accepted?  Isn't there a
plugin that already allows correctly replying to a section from a
digest?

2) If someone replies to a mailing list message, and that message has a
"List-unsubscribe:" header, and the message subject is "unsubscribe" or
if the first non-quoted word of message of the body is "unsubscribe",
how about we pop up a dialog box saying:

This is pointless, you cannot catch every way some rube will format /
describe their unsubscribe request.  Unsubscribe messages are amusingly
annoying but they don't pollute the message flow so I'd 'vote' that
having developers spend time on them is a waste of time.