Re: [Evolution] A Digression on Digests

On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 16:28 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
Nothing to do w/ corporate email or BB's.  It's much easier to reply &
it's much easier to read a sequence of emails that are top posted.

Bull $#^*&@^#,  top-post messages are harder to read.  One has to
remember that message are not always [even typically] read
in-thread-order (thus no mental-state-tracking is in play).  Mail list
messages are often read months, or even years, later; either in list
archives or via any variety of search mechanisms.  A well-formed
inline-quoted messages is 10,000,000,000,000 times easier to
understand/follow and place in context.

One purpose of a forum is to facilitate discussion, a second and equally
important function is to serve as a knowledge-base.

Like hell it is - it is just overly confsing - how many times have you
seen a message that is, in its entirety, something like "yes, I think
that is correct" followed by a few thousand lines of included email
conversation without any indiction of what they are actually agreeing
with.  It's lazy and just transfers work to other people making them
continually move up and down through an email to try and work out what
you are talking about.

+1 lazy
+1 transfer-of-effor

e.g. if I just say to the next bit of your email