Re: [Evolution] Save as VCard showing perhaps not standard Xtension types

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 15:06 +0300, George H wrote:
Hi,
I would like a developer or perhaps someone with extensive knowledge
of VCard formats to double check my finding. First off I am a
developer of a vcard parser in java
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/cardme) and I was doing tests parsing
vcards outputted from evolution. Everything was good except for 2
issues.

evolution-hackers may be a better list for this.

1. Extended parameter types for TEL, EMAIL, ADR and other Extended
types are either not prefixed with the TYPE= or not included in the
standard parameters type list
For 1 here is the Evolution v2.30.3 output
TEL;TYPE=CELL;X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT=3:123456
As you can see after the standard parameter type (TYPE=CELL) a
semi-colon is placed and then it continues with
(X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT=3)
Shouldn't it be
TEL;TYPE=CELL,X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT=3:123456
or
TEL;TYPE=CELL;TYPE=X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT=3:123456

This one would be very wrong.  X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT is an attribute
parameter, it is not a TYPE value.

vObject <http://vobject.skyhouseconsulting.com/> doesn't seem to have
any issues parsing the vCard values as Evolution sends them.

Out of evolution I see TEL attributes like:
TEL;X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT=2;TYPE=HOME,VOICE:999999999
TEL;X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT=1;TYPE=CELL:999999999

Those seem perfectly OK to me.  X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT is an entirely
separate custom property (and handy too).

2. FBURL and CALURL appear to violate RFC-2426 standards by not being
prefixed with X-  to be considered as Extended types.

No, these are valid attributes for a 2.1 or later vCard and are defined
in RFC2739 ["Calendar Attributes for vCard and LDAP"].  Like:

BEGIN: vCard
FN: Alec Dun
EMAIL;INETERNET:alecdu microsoft com
BEGIN: CALINFO
COMMENT: My work calendar
DEF: T
CALURL: http://www.microsoft.com/calendars/alecdu
FBURL: http://www.microsoft.com/freebusy/alecdu
END: CALINFO
BEGIN: CALINFO
COMMENT: My softball calendar
DEF: FALSE
CALURL: http://www.myisp.com/calendars/softball
FBURL: http://www.myisp.com/calendars/softball
END: CALINFO
END: vCard

I hope someone could double check this to see if I am missing
something, and if not to confirm so I can post it as a bug on their
tracker.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>