Re: [Evolution] oledata.mso

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 08:23 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sep 16, 2010, at 8:05 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:

> Ive just received an email that was sent using the "send to" of MS
> word.
> The word document is apparently embedded in the document (and evo
> displays it inline reasonably well) but the attachment bar only
> shows a
> png image (which was embedded in the original word document) and
> oledata.mso which is apparently a "how to display the document" info
> file.  The email message has numerous "parts" which probably
> include the
> original document.
>
> Is it possible to either access the original word document, or recover
> it from either within evo or another application working on the raw
> email data file without resorting to outlook?

It probably needs an OLE implementation to be read, but I'm no expert
in MS garbage.

If it were me, I'd tell the sender to resend using standard Internet
mail. The trouble
with futzing around looking for a solution at your end is that your
correspondent won't
notice there's a problem, which only encourages them. The whole point
of using
standards is to avoid having to deal with this nonsense.

poc
Exactly. Furthermore, it supports the awful habit of editing an attachement inline which leads to a ton of other issues. Although that feature of Word may have appeared practical on paper it's far from being easily implemented and is a complete nightmare to manage from an administrators point of vue. If you've ever heard of the infamous Outlook OLK hidden folders you'd know what I'm referring to.

Phil