[Evolution] How to auto-configure a new user?

Title: How to auto-configure a new user?

Hi all:

Sorry if this is the wrong list, but have searched all over with no luck.

We're putting out a Linux-based "cloud computer" as a service intended for users who just want basic functions -- e-mail, Web browsing, etc -- without the expense and hassle of owning a PC.  (www.nimbuscc.com  for details)

We are aiming for novice users (we call it the mother-in-law computer internally), and asking them to configure an e-mail client is well beyond the scope (they really won't have any idea what a POP3 or IMAP client is).

Anyway, when they sign up for the service they select a User Name -- e.g. 'marysmith', and we automatically create an e-mail account for them:  marysmith mail screenpc com

Their Desktop is also setup automatically with Firefox, OpenOffice -- and Evolution as an e-mail client.

The plan is to automatically configure Evolution so that it is ready to go and points at their account on our e-mail server -- the user just selects the icon, they see our welcome e-mail, and they're ready to go.

Is there a robust way to do this?  We really would like a command-line interface or library to let us do all the confguration for that user -- we know their name, their User Name, the address of our e-mail server, etc, etc.

So far it looks like all the configuration requires use of the GUI.

We have considered going through the GUI for a dummy user, grabbing all the .gconf/apps/evolution files, copying these to the new user /home directory,  and using 'sed' to plug in the necessary changes -- but this whole mechanism would be a kludge at best and far from robust.

Have we missed something?  Suggestions?

Thanks,

John Crowley
ScreenPC, Inc.
4 Rockwell Pl
Westport, CT  06880
Office:  203.222.8031
Cell:      203.856.2396

This message and any accompanying attachments contains information from ScreenPC,Inc. that is confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and destroy all copies of the original email.