Re: [Evolution] Folder subscriptions and Gmail

On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 18:54 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 15:14 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 14:57 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
I have a large number of folders ("labels" in Gmail parlance) and would
like to limit the number I see in Evo via its IMAP connection, both to
save screen clutter and to speed up synchronization.

Labels vs. folders is not a "parlance" issue.  It is just different.

I'm aware of that. I was trying to be brief.

However despite unsubscribing from a bunch of folders, they still show
up in the Evo interface and refresh if I visit them, i.e. it's as if the
subscription model simply doesn't work for Gmail IMAP, though it does
work for my other IMAP server.

GMail is only sorta-kinda an IMAP server.  If you want a free
high-quality real IMAP account see fastmail.fm [and, extra bonus, they
use Open Source software].

Also aware of that. Not really the issue however.

Since "subscription" is purely a client-side notion, I can't see any
obvious reason for this. Any thoughts?

Subscription is not a client-side notion; an IMAP server maintains a
list of the folders the user is subscribed to.

That I didn't know. I seem to have been subconsciously mixing
"subscribed to" with "check for new mail in" but I sit corrected.

I have no trouble unsubscribing to GMail labels.

Check your account preferences in Evolution for your GMail account.
Under "Receiving options", make sure you have checked the checkbox "show
only subscribed folders" and that you haven't checked "Check for new
mail in all folders" but rather "Check for new mail in subscribed
folders".

That works for me in Evolution 2.32.1.

It seems to only fully work after a restart, though.

Best,
  KÃre