[Evolution] Folder subscriptions and Gmail

I have a large number of folders ("labels" in Gmail parlance) and would
like to limit the number I see in Evo via its IMAP connection, both to
save screen clutter and to speed up synchronization.

However despite unsubscribing from a bunch of folders, they still show
up in the Evo interface and refresh if I visit them, i.e. it's as if the
subscription model simply doesn't work for Gmail IMAP, though it does
work for my other IMAP server.

Since "subscription" is purely a client-side notion, I can't see any
obvious reason for this. Any thoughts?

poc