Re: [Evolution] Why I switched from TBird to Evo

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 09:34 -0700, jd wrote:
As some of have noticed, and I stated so in my messages asking for help,
I am new to Evo.
I had had it with TBird after so many years of putting up with a problem
that still plagues TBird: Single file folder, which in my case can grow
to excess of 4 gigabytes. I like to keep all my important email for
record keeping.
Problem with using a single file for a folder is that
1. it takes forever to purge deleted messages from it, and
   it sucks as much as 90% of my cpu, gobbles large amount
   of ram while it is purging (compacting) a 3.2 GB folder.
2. Searching for messages that contain a certain pattern in the
   message body also takes forever.
4. A folder size is still limited to 4GB, which is a dumb limitation,
given that EXT2FS, NTFS, UFS (BSD) and HFS+ (OS X) all support
huge files - EXT2 FS supports (2^33)*512 - slightly more than 4TB).
God forbid If I have to purge an Inbox file of 8GB, let alone 4TB,
let alone search it.

In fact the limit is 2GB, not 4GB.

Now I understand I could save my Inboxes and start naming them
Inbox-ending-date and start a new empty Inbox as soon as the
Inbox reaches some reasonable size.
THAT would give me yet another nightmare of having to search numerous
Inboxes every time I want to find that specific email message with
the specific pattern in the message body.

In Evo, searching numerous small files is more efficient and has a
much lower impact on memory consumption because each file is opened
separately for searching - and I will never have to worry about how
large Inbox directory will get - at least not within the foreseeable
future :)

Searching is not done by opening every mail folder and doing a grep.
Evolution indexes your mail and uses a database so it doesn't have to do
this.

I keep nearly all my mail on IMAP servers, which allow you to keep local
copies if you want but doesn't force it. Note that the IMAP protocol
includes some search functionality.

poc