[Evolution] Mail notification in Ubuntu 10.04

I've recently upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04, which runs Evo 2.28.3

I have the email notification plugin enabled, but I only get a beep, not
a visual notification - this disappeared during the life of Ubuntu 9.10,
and I hoped it would be fixed in 10.04

Is there any way to set the notification icon to change on incoming
mail? If I'm not in the room I don't hear the beep, and I have to
remember to check. I know it's trivial, but it would be helpful! :)

The email notification applet is now part of the combined indicator
applet, so don't know if that's the problem.

Dianne