Re: [Evolution] missed messages

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 00:18 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 21:04 -0500, Jesse Lazar wrote:
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 19:08 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 17:46 -0500, Jesse Lazar wrote:
I am a happy evolution user, but I recently encountered a problem.

The problem is that in the last two weeks I have missed a series of
emails, from a specific sender, in such a way that evolution simply
marked the messages as read but did not download the local copy. I use
POP access through gmail.

I finally figured out that the messages were sent to me because I can
see them if I use the gmail web interface and look in my email
"archive". The thing is I use evolution so I don't often use the gmail
web interface, plus the messages were marked as read, and moved from my
inbox.

What's moving them from the Inbox?

I have it set up so that once my messages are downloaded they are marked
read, so I guess gmail moves them from the Inbox folder.

Within Evo these messages are subject to a filter, based on sender, that
simply places the messages into a folder other than "inbox". At the very
least this filter functioned properly for the last six months and I did
not make any changes.

Within Gmail, under the POP setup is where I selected an option to
"archive messages" after they are accessed, but I have no filters set up
in Gmail.

Gmail will definitely not do this by default, only if you explicitly
tell it to do so using a filter. The exact behaviour will depend on
whether the filter is in Gmail or in Evo. If it's in Gmail, my
understanding is that it will fire as soon as the message arrives in the
Inbox, which is before Evo gets a chance to see it. That could explain
what you're seeing, but I would expect it to apply to every message, not
just some. OTOH if the filter is in Evo itself, it will fire only when
Evo sees a message it regards as new (which is *not* the same as
"Unread", see below).

In addition, if I mark a message as unread (including these) and move it
back to the inbox (in gmail) then evolution still skips the message...

Remember that Gmail doesn't really have folders, just labels, i.e.
"moving" a message to Inbox is just changing a label. It's not a new
message even if it's marked as unread, and I'm guessing it doesn't have
a new UID (Unique IDentifier). Using POP, Evo will only consider as new
messages whose UIDs it hasn't already seen. (This is hypothetical as I
don't actually know how Gmail handles UIDs.) The question then is "why
does Evo think it has already seen these UIDs?". That might depend on
exactly what your filters are doing.

Can I fool Evo and make it believe an old message is new? I think that
Evo updated its UID database and marked these messages as seen (or
however the mechanism works) before delivering my messages.

poc