Re: [Evolution] Msg Selection

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 12:49 -0400, Philippe LeCavalier wrote:

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 09:20 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 07:30 +0100, Gavin Simpson wrote:
On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 22:44 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 21:31 -0400, Philippe LeCavalier wrote:
If you click a folder Evo forces the auto-selection of the newest
unread message and worked back from there.

It's not that sophisticated.  It remembers the highlighted message ID
and automatically selects that when you return to the folder.  If that
message doesn't exist or isn't visible, it either selects the first in
the list or none at all, depending on the context.

Is that configurable in any way? I like my newest mail to be at the end
(bottom) of a list. The "jump to first in list" is mildly annoying in
such circumstances, especially in folders with a lot of mail. Now I
know /why/ this is happening I can try to work around it; hadn't
realised that that was what was causing it.

I'm in the same boat. I've complained about it in the past (so long ago
I can't even remember) but to no effect, I suspect because the devels
probably use the default "newest at the top" layout. In my view the
algorithm should be:

Show the last selected message if it still exists
else show the oldest unread message in the folder, if any
else show the newest message in the folder

This is independant of the sorting order.

poc

Patrick,

That is /exactly/ what I not only want but would expect as a logical
sorting. To do the opposite -which is the default in Evo, goes against
logic. We always advocate/preach on this list about logical order,
namely top vs. bottom posting and the like, yet we're faced with this,
rather contradicting "flow".

Assuming there is already been a request for this is there anything
that can be done to push that through?

Wish I knew. I'm not a devel and have no insight into how their minds
work :-) In fact I thought I had filed a BZ report a long time ago but I
can't seem to find it. Feel free to file it yourself and post the BZ
number here for others to add comments.

poc