Re: [Evolution] Reply for list messages should go back to the list

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 11:13 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 10:14 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Note: this is a comment on Evo itself, rather than the Evo list.

As someone who posts quite a lot on this list, I'm forever having to
deal with people replying to my personal address rather than the list
address. Of course they should be using Reply To List (Ctrl-L) or even
Reply-To-All (Shift-Ctrl-R) but occasionally they forget and use just
Reply (Ctrl-R) so one has to remind them. I'm sure other frequent
contributors find the same thing.

An obvious solution to this is to do what Kmail does. When the message
being replied to contains a List-Post header, Ctrl-R should do the same
as Ctrl-L. There should also be a Reply-To-Author command for the rare
case when the reply should be directed to the message Reply-To field,
presumably the author's personal address.

This would work on lists, including this one, which follow RFC-2822 and
don't do "Reply-To munging". For those that do munge the Reply-To field,
a reply to the author would require some editing, but that's already the
case with these lists so nothing is lost.

That's just munging in a different place. As it is, I have the *choice*:

 - I can hit Ctrl-R to reply to you alone.
 - I can hit Ctrl-Shift-R to reply to you and the list.
 - I can hit Ctrl-L to reply to the list.

Just like the people who advocate using a Reply-To: header, you're
trying to take away my choices and make one or more of those keystrokes
actually do something _other_ than what I wanted.

Well, no. I'm advocating:

 - Reply To All to CC the author and reply to the list (the reverse of
the current situation).
 - Ctrl-L to disappear, and Ctrl-R to change to reflect that it's Reply
To List.

(Those who follow the Fedora Users list will know there's been a long
thread about munging, which that list does do.)

poc

PS If you reply to this, please make sure it goes to the list unless you
*really* want to say something to me personally :-)

If you reply to this, please make sure you don't drop me from Cc. I may
only look at the list sporadically (or indeed never; I may not even be
subscribed -- someone may have redirected your mail to me because they
knew I'd be interested). It'd be very rude not to Cc me in your reply.

Since you request it, that's what I did. Most people don't do that,
which is why I usually use Reply To List. Under my proposed scheme,
exactly the same would apply.

That's why I almost never use the Ctrl-L option on mailing lists, unless
I notice that someone asked for it. In the general case, it's much
easier for someone to deal with having two copies, than it is for them
to deal with having *none*.

That's more a comment on list netiquette than the mechanics of how the
MUA works. I can't recall anyone ever asking explicitly for Ctrl-L
(except in the course of discussions about how to reply to lists) but
perhaps your experience is different. In any case, you can continue to
use Shift-Ctrl-R with the effect you desire.

Note that what I'm proposing isn't original. Kmail already works this
way. In fact I got the idea when I read
http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html

poc