Re: [Evolution] Near showstopper problem in Evolution

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 17:41 -0800, Vern McGeorge wrote:
There seems to be a problem in Evolution that is only being seen by
users or quad-core CPUs and this problem is, as best I can tell from
several web searches, not resolved or even particularly well
characterized.

Why do say this is only on quad-core cpus? Do you have references?

Too bad, since even though I like Evolution so far (and do NOT like
Thunderbird - for reasons that I will mention below) this bug may be
enough to force me to switch to another client.

The problem is that I many email accounts defined in Evolution. When I
"Send/Receive" email, I get problems with multiple threads hanging
while "Fetching Mail" and multiple pop-ups asking for the password for
many of my accounts. The only way I can work around this is to close
down Evolution completely, load my password into the clip-board,
re-run Evolution, hit "Send/Receive", and Ctrl-v/Enter my way through
a third of the accounts that pop up a dialog box asking for the
password even though all accounts are configured to remember the
password.

Do you have gnome-keyring? If so, is it correctly configured and
working? Evo should be using it to store your passwords and not asking
you all the time.

[...]

Why don't I just switch to Thunderbird? Because I've looked it it
don't like it. Thunderbird (and many other email clients) maintain an
account-centric focus - you set up multiple accounts - each with
separate in-boxes, out-boxes, file-folders, etc. The left hand panel
then allows/forces you to work on each account in turn.

TB3 allows you to have a unified Inbox. Just so you know.

[...]

In reality, I sort these emails into the A-list, B-list, C-list, and
D-list and Evolution supports this adequately. I'd say perfectly if
only could do case-insensitive comparisons because while I put out
email addresses that end in @VernMcGeorge.com, I very often get back
@vernmcgeorge.com.

The message search box is case-insensitive. I'm surprised that the
filter criteria are any different.

Evolution maintains a folder focus that allows me to keep all the
messy account details while sorting all my incoming email into an
orderly folder tree. The only feature I do wish I had was the ability
to go check email on a specific account manually - like right after I
sign up on a new website and am expecting an activation email
momentarily.

This is a long-standing request (*very* long-standing). I cannot
comprehend why no devel has taken it seriously enough to implement it.

If I can't get this resolved, or at least get some kind of a
work-around, I may end up switching to KMail, Claws Mail, or some
other as yet TBD client even though I don't want to.

I think you'll find that "all the others are so much worse". I have
periodic fits of frustration with Evo, especially when it freezes up
(thankfully this happens a lot less now). I try some other client for a
while, including all the above, but I always come back.

poc