Re: [Evolution] Regenerating addressbook.db

On Sat, 2010-12-11 at 15:48 -0500, Jeff wrote:
My parents have been using Pimlico Contacts [1] over the years,

Cool, I haven't seen that before.

 and I thought I'd switch them to simply using
"evolution --component=contacts"
Problem is, Contacts created many entries that are not completely
kosher according to Evolution; phone numbers (among other things?)
don't show up unless you open the contact in evolution, poke any field
(so that it is marked changed), then save it. By doing so, the phone
number field hasn't actually changed; just telling evolution to
rewrite the contact.

That is odd.  Can you export the address book as vCard and look at the
difference between an entry where phone numbers appear and entries where
they don't?  [Just export and look at entries in GEdit].

My first/gut guess is the X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT attribute of the TEL
element either having a null/conflicting value in the existing vCard
component and the save from Evolution proper causes a recalculation of
that value.

There are 300 of them. Is there some way to regenerate/fix the entire
db automatically?

Quite certainly, if you can export an identify the difference.  I'd
wager you can can probably fix whatever it is using Find-n-Replace [in
GEdit] or, if not, with a Python script.