Re: [Evolution] Handling Aliases, Silent Mode, & "Combo Tasks"

On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 08:42 +0100, Onyeibo Oku wrote:
Greetings
I'm not sure if this should fall into the hacking section or general
section ... so pardon me if this is the wrong audience.  I have bumped
into some areas in Evolution that, I think, might either be buggy or
could use some improvement.  It is possible that I'm doing something
wrong.  I'd appreciate some corrections, and links in that case. Here
they are:
1. Once an account is set up it becomes difficult to implement an
"alias sending".  Evolution doesn't allow its user change the sender's
field when composing ... except for accounts created locally.  For
people involved in open-source projects like Evolution this makes it
hard to use evolution to send list related mails.  Why? Some users
have email aliases tied to their email accounts ... and use the
aliases for such projects.  Is there no way one could override the
sender's field so users can enter their email aliases instead?

Create send-only accounts - then you can choose this "alias" when you
send (send is a drop-down).

<aside>if you are someone who creates a separate e-mail address for
every list - stop doing that, it is dumb, annoying, and pointless;  I
have no sympathy for people with crazy practices.</aside>

2. It would be nice if evolution can start silently ... docked in the
panel and runs on the background.  This will ensure that the user gets
notified when mails arrive.  This also frees the task bar.  This
functionality can be archived in conjunction with another application
called Alltray, but alltray has side effects. It introduces shaky
graphic performance (Compiz transitions are affected)

Doesn't run-minimized do this?

3. This is more of a feature request: Wouldn't it be nice if Evolution
can handle what I call "Layered Tasks" ... or "Stratified Tasks" ...
or maybe, "Combo Tasks".  I've been thinking about this ever since I
started using Evolution.  I see Combo Tasks (or whatever) as a Task
that has other tasks inside it -- like a project with small
objectives.   I hope I'm not sounding crazy

No, that isn't crazy, it would be awesome.  But I don't expect it to
happen.  In Evolution tasks are VTODOs (basically) and the VTODO is the
lamest of the [IMO, deeply flawed] iCalendar standard(s) - it doesn't
support anything like task dependency or inheritance.  [Although you
could support this with X- attributes it would be a fair amount of code
around a non-standard scheme so I'd be surprised if the Evo hackers took
it up].  Note that task delegation is not even possible in Evolution
[major drawback!].

There are GNOME applications for project management[ Planner
<http://live.gnome.org/Planner/>], and last I knew the Evo plugin for
planner [to make planner tasks available in Evo] was working.  But evo
remains ignorant of the 'enhanced' task functionality. Another downside
of that scheme is that there is no server-side integration [for Planner]
which means none of this can be easily shared.