Re: [Evolution] goto most recent feature

Hi

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 14:14 -0400, Philippe LeCavalier wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] goto most recent feature
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:51:55 -0430
Mailer: Evolution 2.26.3 (2.26.3-1.fc11)

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 09:48 -0400, Philippe LeCavalier wrote:
Is there a way to have Evo go to the most recent message when
selecting a folder? I like sorting my mail oldest to newest - bottom
being the most recent message but Evo defaults to selecting the
top-most message...Aside from the obvious workaround of sorting the
mail newest on top, what can I do?

AFAIK, this is not currently possible. I seem to remember a feature
request about it a long time ago but I'm too lazy to search the BZ
database :-)

Note that Evo doesn't in fact always select the top-most message. It
selects the last message visited if it knows what it is. For some reason
it forgets this from time to time -- I've never bothered looking into
what the conditions are -- and just heads for the topmost message.

Personally I would like an algorithm like this:

1) If there is a remembered "last visited message", select it

else:

2) If there are unread messages, select the oldest of them (or
optionally the newest one). Oldest and newest to be defined by the
timestamp of the message reception, not the sender's date header.

else:

3) select the newest message, which may be at the top or the bottom or
even in the middle, depending on the sort order.
Evolution does provide a filer to display "Recent messages", listed
besides "Show", along with "Read messages","Unread messages",....

poc

Your suggestion would be perfect.

Another thing, what about the ability to search message filters? I've
got tons of them and recently when I switched IMAP servers Evo lost
touch with all the "move to" folders - which is to be expected. I
found it mind-numbing to comb through the list for a particular filter
to update the folder it should move the message to.

Phil

...just realized I did Reply and not Reply All