Re: [Evolution] Strange new folder

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 18:19 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 14:03 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
A folder named gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general has just appeared; I
don't remember creating it.  It can't be deleted.
Right-click->Properties does not produce the usual popup.  In
$HOME/.evolution/mail/local it appears as a directory containing a
single file named folders.db .

Presumably you subscribed to the Gmane NNTP server. The folder doesn't
contain mail but news articles from the Fedora group.

I don't remember doing this.  Certainly never intended to.  In fact (as
noted) the directory is empty except for the index file.

How was this folder created?  How can it be deleted?

Unsubscribe from Gmane.

How do I unsuscribe?  How (for that matter) do I subscribe?  Google is
uninformative.  Likewise evolution help.  To get rid of the folder, I
assume I could simply:
        $ rm -rf .evolution/mail/local/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
but thought it would be a better idea to consult with experts before
doing this.

Evolution has been acting weirder and weirder lately, losing messages,
moving folders into subfolders of others, crashing frequently, etc.

None of that has been happening to me. Try moving ~/.evolution to one
side and creating a new one.

I suppose this would work, since it would probably remove one of the
causes of the problem, namely a large number of messages in local
folders.

I recently cleaned up my ~/.evolution by emptying the trash and deleting
all of the local index files, so that evolution would re-create them
when started.  Things got better for a few days, then reverted to their
original bad state.

In more detail, evolution becomes unresponsive 3 or 4 times a day.  It
doesn't exactly crash, since it is sometimes still running, and
responding to some kinds of stimuli; clicking the "X" on the decoration,
sometimes produces a system popup asking if the program should be
killed, and sometimes doesn't.

Also, if you want to report problems, it's important to state which
version of Evo you have, what platform it's running on, and what kind of
mail is giving trouble (POP, IMAP, Exchange, ...).

Sorry, you're quite right.
        $ evolution --version
        GNOME evolution 2.26.3
        $ uname -rs
        Linux 2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.jon.x86_64
I'm running Fedora-11 with all upgrades installed.
All mail folders are local.

What would be a more reliable mail reader?

This is probably not the best place to ask that question ...

Just as you say.

Thanks - jon