Re: [Evolution] Still having trouble configuring evolution to use outgoing mail server at port 587

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 08:44 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 07:35 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:
I have been trying to (A) configure my office machine (using RedHat) to
act as an outgoing mail server using port 587 and (B) to configure
evolution on my home machine (Fedora 11) for sending email through
my office machine.

I think I've managed to configure sendmail.mc on the office machine
to use port 587.
nmap office-machine
run on my home machine yields (among other things)
25/tcp    filtered smtp
587/tcp   open     submission
(I need the 25/tcp so my office machine continues to accept other
incoming mail so as to act as a mail transfer agent.)

Are you sure that sendmail is actually listening on the right port (nmap
just says that *something* is listening)? Are you sure that the Evo
machine is sending to the same port? Try telnetting to that port and see
if you get the SMTP greeting.

I put the following lines in sendmail.mc on the office machine

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl

which were recommended in something google found for me.

The second is supposed to be what you need to enable port 587.  The file
sendmail.mc in fact tells you to uncomment that line to receive on port
587
.
The first is to ensure others can still connect using port 25.

If I remove both statements from sendmail.mc, which is basically how it
comes, then nmap shows smtp at 25 and nothing at 587.  With bo th
configured,

telnet office-machine N

gives exactly the same response for N = 25 and N =587.

But I can't configure evolution to send mail using my office
machine.  Nothing I try works.

You need to be more explicit. What have you tried? How does it fail?

It would take too long to list every thing I tried.  It would be easier
for me if someone told me what does work than if I had to list
everything that doesn't work and the error messages that result.

If no one comes up with any thing, I will try to be more specific about
the details of what happens with each choice.

poc