Re: [Evolution] Backup / Restore Evolution

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 05:29 -0700, merlyn2 wrote:
Would some wise person help me with an Evolution prob.

I'm running Evolution 2.8.1 on an old Ubuntu system.

I want to transfer all the data from this installation to a fresh
installation of Ubuntu running Evolution 2.26.1

I've googled about a lot and tried a few suggestions but nothing has worked.

Help much appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am not familiar with the 2.8.1 version, but I know that at some point,
evolution has changed database system. To my knowledge, the Hardy
version (8.04) is still using the old database system, but with updates.
I would suggest to install a virtual machine with Hardy and try to
import your backup (made by evolution) in there. Alternatively, you can
use the script below to create a backup. (extract in you virtual machine
after) If hardy can read it, create a new backup with evolution on
hardy, and try restoring that in the new version. It should
automatically upgrade your database to the new one.

Good Luck.
M.kojak.S

#! /bin/sh
#

# Shutdown evolution and gconftool-2

gconftool-2 --shutdown
evolution --force-shutdown

# Backup evolution settings and data to a backup directory.

sudo tar
-cvzf /home/user/evolution-backup.tar.gz /home/user/.evolution/ /home/user/.gconf/apps/evolution/
/home/user/.gnome2_private/Evolution/