Re: [Evolution] "bounce" instead of forward

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 05:22:37PM +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 11:53 -0500, bryan bradsby wrote:
On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 15:15 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
Message -> Forward As .. -> Redirect

Yes, but that still makes the "envelope from" me.

No it doesn't.  I've just tried it and it maintains the original From:
and To: headers, it doesn't add any Envelope-from: header and adds

When Bryan mentions the "envelope" I believe he is talking about things
at an SMTP level (that would conventional usage anyway).

Even if it did change any of the "envelope" headers the final MUA
shouldn't take any notice of them since they are meant to be used by the
MTAs to correctly aim bounces back to the correct person (i.e. if *you*
redirect it to a bad address, the originator shouldn't get the error
message, *you* should).

As you say, MTAs further up stream *will* look at the envelope and thus
he needs enough control over it to say that it should be as it was
before.  I believe he wants the original sender to receive these error
messages and not receive them himself.

"Bounce" has very valid use cases, they're just not used by most people
most of the time.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/