Re: [Evolution] Why I must stop using Evolution

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 17:35 +0000, Art Alexion wrote:
With Ubuntu 9.04, Kmail and Evolution both display this behavior.  The
problem is that the MUAs start trying to retrieve mail before the
hibernating computer re-establishes a network connection.  The reason
you are not getting this problem with the other account may be that
your two accounts are set for different polling intervals, and the
non-problem account isn't hitting the server before the network is
back up.

The fundamental problem is there's no desktop-wide notification of
hibernate/suspend and resume.  Or if there is now, we're not listening
for it.  If we had such a notification it would be fairly simple to drop
to offline mode until we get a resume notification.

As things stand now Evolution has no idea that anything happened.  The
process resumes to find all it's network sockets are suddenly closed and
time has suddenly jumped far ahead, and it doesn't deal well with that
(unnecessary password prompts, cascading errors, etc.).

I believe the notification issue is being worked on (I'd have to check
with some of my Red Hat colleagues), but until that's in place I'd
recommend either shutting Evolution down or placing it in offline mode
yourself before hibernating or suspending.

Matthew Barnes