Re: [Evolution] Why I must stop using Evolution

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 15:15 +0000, Harald Beck wrote:
Hi Philippe,

thanks for the reply.

It's interesting that the crashing on editing recurring events only
occurs in my case (at least not in everone's).
I'm certain someone else has seen this...Try running from a shell and turning up the debug level so we can get more info. I'm not expert but I'm certain someone can help if you had more info.
 Concerning Adam's
suggestion: Well, switching the operating system (which I've been really
happy with for a couple of years) only to get (possibly) a better
performance of Evo can't be the solution, right? ;-)
Definitely not a feasible option.

(I also don't see why the operating system should have to do so much
with editing an appointment in Evo.)
Exactly.

I want to report concerning the mysterious "loss" of data. I was
convinced that data was written in a bad way, such that it could not be
read again because I also tried Tasque which works on the Evo Data
Server as well. Here, also all entries were gone and that convinced me
that something was corrupt.

However, I restarted Evo a couple of times during the day (pseudo-naive
hope in indeterminism, I guess), and finally, everything could be seen
again, only the layers (Calendars, Tasks lists) were switched invisible.
How come? (I certainly did not uncheck them before closing Evo, and even
if I did, Tasque would have still displayed the items.)
This is probably do to the aforementioned crashing. Evo may have "removed the checkmarks" as a self-preservation tactic of sorts. But again, running from a shell in debug would help get to the bottom of this. Also, and maybe firstly, ensure the checkmarks are indeed there and restart(forced so that the data server shutdown as well).

Cheers,
Phil