Re: [Evolution] Why I must stop using Evolution

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 17:46 +0100, Harald Beck wrote:
Hi guys,

here is some feedback to version 2.26 running under ubuntu.

First, I encountered a couple of very annoying bugs: (No, I don't want
to engage in Bugzilla; sorry.)

* In the calender view, where tasks and memos appear on the right, the
memo list is empty, though there are memos listed in the memo view.

* Evolution crashes (!) each time I edit a previously created
appointment to make it an recurring event. So if I forgot to specify
that at the time of creation, I have to delete it first, and create it
again, making sure I edit the recurrence information before closing the
formular.
I use 2.26.3 on Debian (Ubuntu is based on Debian so they're very similar) and haven't experienced this.

* If I start the computer from hibernating (having Evolution started
before hibernating), I'm prompted for the password for one of my two
mail accounts -- without effect (endless loop); so I have to cancel.
This does not happen, if I shutdown the computer, and start Evolution as
usual. (That problem seemed to be linked with using ubuntu; but why does
it work for the other account!?)
this is very likely a network ACPI thing. Especially if your on wireless. Most systems resume slowly after hibernating and your likely not getting your network connect back up as fast as you might expect it. Have you tried a webpage or pinging something at the same time as it's asks you for your pass?

There are other suggestions which are not bugs, but they shall not
concern us here.

I could live with the bugs above for some time, but: Today I started
Evolution, and ALL calendar, task and memo entries were gone! The
according lists to file them are still here, but no items. In other
words, without doing anything, all information is gone and I have no
clue why.

I enjoyed using evolution more and more since I started using it a
couple of months ago and so I managed to live with the mentioned bugs
which were indeed annoying.

But I cannot possibly use a software that deletes stored information, or
stores it in such a way that it cannot be retrieved.
Short of a drive failure of some sort I highly doubt Evo deleted your data. It must be there somewhere...Post the findings from your below suggestion and someone here will get to the bottom of this.

Well, I might go now browse ~/.evolution and see whether I can do
anything about, but hey, I wanna USE this software and not hack it.

Hope that helps & looking forward to a (much) more mature version,
Harald
Don't loose hope so quick. Evo is quite mature already ;)

Cheers,
Phil