Re: [Evolution] names change using LDAP

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 20:46 +0200, Lars Schade wrote:
To illustrate the issue I start with a local addressbook and add a new
contact using the evolution GUI say for the Berlin Office of a company
called "The Big Wheel", and I fill in the name dialog as given name
"Berlin Office" and as family name "The Big Wheel". It is displayed as
"The Big Wheel, Berlin Office" exactly what I want. I can use the this
information to automatically generate address labels with openoffice,
everything perfect.

I'm not very knowledgable about LDAP, but it looks to me like you're
using it incorrectly. Using the Name subfields (First, Middle, Last,
Suffix) to stand for Office/Company is bound to lead to trouble, if not
within Evo then elsewhere you might want to use LDAP records. The field
names are there for a reason and some apps attach semantic meaning to
them. For example a Name with a space in it can legitimately be
interpreted as two names, where the second one can be represented by an
initial. This makes perfect sense for given names and makes no sense for
the name of a company.

You should reconsider how you're using LDAP. The key thing to remember
is that a "contact" is meant to represent a person, not a company.

poc