Re: [Evolution] stability/stability

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 13:10 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 09:28 +0000, Philipp Kubina wrote:
I am working with Evolution for a month now (Ubuntu 9.04, Evolution
2.26.1) and the instability is terrible (multiple crashes every day).

I too have had chronic stability problems with Evolution, namely
evolution-2.26.3 running under Fedora 11 with all upgrades on an x86_64
system.

Several times a day evolution crashes, doesn't respond to input or
refresh its window.  Generally, if I click on the window decoration to
delete the window, the window manager (gnome) puts up an error box that
evolution is not responding and asking if I want it killed.  When I
respond yes and restart evolution it runs fine for a while, then crashes
again after a while.  Sometimes no box appears (evolution must be
responding to a message from the window manager, though nothing is
visible on the screen), and in this case evolution has to be killed from
a command window.  All of these crashes seem to be quite random: the
evolution window can be visible on hidden (when visible) displaying or
composing mail or doing nothing.

I've seen occasional hangs with 2.26.3 but no crashes that I can recall.
I'm using KDE but in all other respects I have the same setup as you. If
you get an actual crash -- Evo just disappears for example -- look at
the end of /var/log/messages to see if some component had a fatal error
and if so then definitely report it either to the Fedora BZ or to the
Gnome one.

Has there been any progress fixing these crashes lately?

Have you reported them? Don't assume the devels know that there's a
problem, and don't just report it here as most devels don't read the
list.

Evolution-2.26.3 is the latest from the Fedora repositories, but the
evolution web site states that 2.28.0 is now out.

And will appear with Fedora 12 in a few weeks time, not before. The
Fedora and Gnome releases tend to be in sync every 6 months (not
counting bugfixes).

poc