Re: [Evolution] stability/williams

Brewster Gillett:
The way most emailers default in the reply edit mode is to position
your cursor at the top of the original. The reason this is done
is apparently, unaccountably, non-obvious to millions of the
NetNewbies of the past several years. The reason it positions that
way is to encourage the user to drill down through the original
post,

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

While all this is true,  I agree completely, it is utterly pointless to
point it out.  The vast vast majority of people DO NOT CARE about
netiquette (or the convenience of subsequent readers).

bg:

How very right you are. It's pleasant to read that there are others
who fully understand.

williams:

Thus you are
wasting bandwidth and every other readers time.  Hashing these things
with people WHO DO NOT CARE is pointless.

bg:

I plead guilty, Adam - 99% of the time I just let it pass. But
this was something new - when someone informed us that they had
to "reconfigure" their emailer in order to alternate between top
and bottom posting. I confess, that pushed me over the edge :-)
I'll try not to do it again for a while......

williams:

I deal with top-posters primarily just by ignoring their
questions [if they can't respect me I shouldn't bother with them].
That is the method I suggest.

bg:

That's a worthy suggestion, Adam, and I pretty much agree with you.
I will observe that I have converted at least three or four formerly
clueless-newbie top-posters through the means of sitting them down at a
computer and demonstrating how it is intended to be done.
Seeing that light bulb go on over their heads was immensely
satisfying, as you might imagine :-)

Brewster

    Embrace a sharing community of sustainable low-carbon diversity
W. Brewster Gillett             bg fdi us            Portland, OR  USA
Simply because you don't like to hear it, that doesn't make it untrue.