[Evolution] Cannot empty trash

I keep trying to empty my trash folder, and the option to delete individual mails is greyed out.  I get an error that says, "Error while expunging folder."  "Summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync."  I have seen a lot of webpages that reference this error, but none that provide a straight answer of how to finish.  They point to a bunch of files that I can't fine (beginning with a tilde).  How do I find these files, and if deleting them is not the answer, does anyone know of how to remedy this?