[Evolution] How to Archive Email?

Environment: evo 2.26.1 on Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)

Email storage:
1. imap work account with no folders other than INBOX
2. maildir account with a hierarchy of folders (675 total). Email gets moved from imap/INBOX to maildir/FOLDER for storage & archiving.

I have years worth of email, going all the way back to 2002. The single-maildir hierarchy is starting to suffer under the weight of 32,000 message files stored in 675 separate folders. At startup, evolution chews up a lot of CPU time and disk I/Os rebuilding the search folders I have created; it takes a long time to shutdown because evolution is "checking folder for consistency". (This seems to be working better now but I still want to proceed.)

What I'd like to do now is archive the email in a new set of maildir folders so I can back it up and then remove it. My thought was to:

1. create a new email account using maildir storage (one for each year from 2002 to 2008); these are the archive accounts 2. create a search folder (one for each year) containing messages sent or received in that year 3. select the messages from the search folder and move them to the appropriate archive/INBOX folder.

I am stuck on step 3. Selecting the messages works, but evolution won't move them. I suspect it has to do with the fact that the search folders are virtual, spanning all the maildir accounts.

Is there any way for me to find and archive messages by year from one maildir-based account to another, without having to go through each of the 675 folders?

Thanks.

-Jeff