[Evolution] Images painfully slow to download

Today I added the following comment to GNOME Bugzilla "Bug 582591 -
Images very slow to display".
-------
Each image (gif or jpg) in a html email takes20+ seconds to download and
display.  All of the delay is the download part.  Atypical html email
with several images takes minutes to download. In comparison Thunderbird
2.0.0.23 is lightning fast; just a few seconds.

Evolution 2.28.1
Operating system - Ubuntu karmic koala 9.10
Server type - both imap and pop (makes no difference)
Image type - both gif and jpg
HP Pavilion dv8000 notebook with 3 gb memory

I have IPV6 disabled by editing /etc/default/grub to include:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="ipv6.disable=1 quiet splash"
-------

But I thought I'd also follow up on the evolution-list to see if anyone
has a suggestion.  I checked the archives and this problem has been
around since at least 2006, maybe longer.  Most people reported "failure
to download images", but my guess is they didn't wait long enough and
eventually the images will download.  Evolution downloads images one at
a time with a long period of DNS(?) requests between.  This morning I
had a message from HP that contained 25 images in the html.  After 5
minutes I walked away and returned several minutes later.  By that time
Evolution had downloaded all images and displayed them.  Needless to say
I've returned to Thunderbird for the time being.

--
  Ben