Re: [Evolution] Using an IMAP Outbox

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 08:50 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 14:31 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 16:16 +0200, Sven Eppler wrote:
i'm using evolution in a highschool network wich prevents me from
sending mail over SMTP (port 25) with my mailserver or with their own
local mailserver. So i configured my IMAP-Server to accept outgoing
mails in an Outbox-IMAP-Folder which then will be send by my SMTP-Server
to the desired recipcient. This works perfectly.

The bad thing ist now, when i write a mail in evolution it will be
placed in the local outbox with an info that there was an error "broken
pipe". This simply happens because i must choose a way how to send mails
when creating an account, so i used sendmail. Therefore the broken pipe.
And afterwards i always have to move the mail manualy to the desired
IMAP-Folder.

You could tell Evolution to put sent emails into that special folder,
there's a setting for it in the preferences. Put a dummy "sendmail"
script in your PATH. Let it do nothing except "cat >/dev/null", then
Evolution should think that it was able to send the outgoing email and
move it into the desired folder.

But then what happens if you *also* want a real Sent Mail folder?
Presumably the server will delete messages from the special folder after
dealing with them.

Then the "sent folder" preferences could be left unchanged and a
outgoing filter "match all" and "copy to folder" could be used. The key
trick still is to make Evolution believe that sending was successful.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly