Re: [Evolution] (no subject)

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 14:36 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve>
Sent: Apr 29, 2009 8:18 PM
To: Dinbandhu <dinbandhu sprynet com>
Cc: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution]

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 18:09 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
But if the procedure works on other computers, then why would we think
there is a bug involved?

Because the error message is from deep in a library routine and mentions
trying to allocate an absurd amount of memory. It *is* a bug. The
trigger for the bug may be in an external file, but it's still a bug for
Evo to collapse in this way. Apps are supposed to check their inputs and
behave sensibly, even if it's just to give the user a meaningful error
message.

 i.e. if it were something systemic, then wouldn't we expect many
people to be affected? This OS is 8.10, and so quite established. I am
not using Jaunty.  Could it be something that happens when one tries
to move from a 32bit to a 64bit system?

That appears to be the case. Something about incompatible file formats
between older and newer versions of Evo when the machine architecture
also changes. In other words, a bug.

I see, so it clearly is a bug. I will file the bug (what is the link for the site?).

http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Note that this is for all of Gnome. You have to dig down to get the
specific part dealing with Evolution, and further still to get to the
Mailer component.

But in the meantime, I also need to get my evo working. I have been having to do all my email work via the
web, which is very inconvenient. So is there perhaps a workaround whereby I can get evo up and working? I
guess I could just remove the .evolution and the other folders I had pasted in, and open up a virgin evo in
my new computer, and set up the settings, email address etc. And then once it is opened up, paste in the
.evolution folder containing all my emails etc. Would that work? Or is there a better way to do it?

The local folders themselves (i.e. not the indices etc.) are in mbox
format, so this is trivial to import (File->Import->Single
File->Berkeley Mbox format).

poc