[Evolution] removing a newsgroup subscription, manually

OK.  Given that a) evolution catalogs an entire newsgroup when you add
one and doesn't just let you specify some number of recent headers and
b) that once evolution has started cataloging a newsgroup, there is no
way to use the subscription manager to delete the subscription[1] can
somebody describe what I would have to do manually (i.e. with evolution
shut down of course) to get rid of an NNTP subscription?

Thanx
b.

[1] it just spins and spins and spins -- I suspect there is only a
single socket to the news server and the code that enumerates the
subscriptions is blocked behind the task of reading the group headers.