Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:11:42 +0100
From: Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend schinstad gmail com>
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Problem viewing calendars on multiple
        machines

2009/3/9 Michael A. Gilchrist <mikeg utk edu>:
Hi,

I am trying to use evolution for its calendar features. ?I don't need
anything fancy, but I do need the ability to use the same calendar on
multiple machines. ?I keep machines in sync using unison and I am syncing my
~/.evolution folder.

Being a newbie and not wanting to use an online service, I set my calendars
up as "On this computer".

Being a newbie is no shame, but how come you don't want to use an online
service? And what exactly do you mean by an online service? If you should be
able to sync your computers, then you'd have to connect to some sort of service
and it should be online, shouldn't it?

Well, basically I want to be able to have access to my calendar even if I'm not online. I also have a way of syncing file systems that works very well for me and that I'm very comfortable with so I'd rather rely on that than develop a new 'skill'.

If you mean that you want to run your online services yourself, then I agree;
it's really nice to own and control your own data. Setting up shared calendars
and contacts is possible using OpenLDAP and Darwin Calendar Server,
for instance,
but it does require some work. Using SyncEvolution, Genesis and Funambol,
however, is really easy. An added benefit from using Funambol, is that you'll
automatically be able to sync your mobile phone as well, which is nice.

Funambol is the service and Genesis is a GUI for SyncEvolution, which actually
performs the sync between evolution and funambol. You can experiment with
http://my.funambol.com and then, if you want, download and install it yourself.
It's free software. :)

I don't know if sharing the .evolution folder is a good idea.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad