Re: [Evolution] Unread message count (again)

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 11:07 -0500, R. Steven Rainwater wrote:
On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 10:23 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 08:35 -0500, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
I'm still getting an occasional inconsistency between the
unread message count in the folder pane and the actual
number of unread messages in the message pane.

I disagree.  I disagree that the inconsistency is "occasional".
Rather it is nearly constant.  /Occasionally/ the count is correct.

My experience is also that the inconsistency is nearly constant. I
usually find that it's the unread message which show up in the message
count but not in the folder pane. By right-clicking on the folder and
selecting "Mark messages as read" they will suddenly show up again. Of
course, I'm using maildir which is riddled with similar index-related
bugs, so my experience may be unrelated.

Using exchange, neither "mark messages as read" nor "refresh" fixes the
problem.  Occasionally, a crash or an "evolution --force-shutdown"
actually does force a refresh.

When that happens, a number of previously read messages equal to the
former ghost unreads become marked unread.  For a while, the correct
unread count shows up -- until all messages are read.  Then an incorrect
message count appears.

I think this is a serious bug because "normal" users can't tolerate it,
and sys admins for those users can't deploy evo if it freaks out users
that way.  For personal use, it is a mere annoyance.  For deployment in
my company, it is a deal breaker.

--
Art Alexion
Resources for Human Development, Inc.          215-951-0300 x3075