Re: [Evolution] Slow composing mail

On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 13:25 +1000, Nick Jenkins wrote:
I would expect it to be a little faster than 1.5 to 3 seconds, so I kind
of wonder what it's doing in that time; maybe if the local case was a
bit faster (e.g. 1 second max, half a second on average) then the remote
case would be better too? I do have some compiz eye-candy enabled
(System -> Appearance -> Visual Effects is set to "Normal"), don't know
if that's relevant or not. But I don't see any delay that's approaching
15 seconds.

It's usually trying to contact your address books during that delay.
Problem is we do that (synchronously) in the same execution thread that
draws the UI, so the UI is blocked from displaying the window.  If you
have remote address books, especially ones that are large or slow to
respond, this can cause the significant delay you're seeing.

The good news is we have a patch to address this (thanks to Milan Crha),
and I think it may have been committed to the development branch
already.

Matthew Barnes