Re: [Evolution] Viewing attachments in Evo?

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 14:27 -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 14:21 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 13:11 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
How to teach Nautilus about that? Saving the file it becomes a pdf-file
as all other .pdfs? An example is application/acrobat (file.pdf)
I have not found of anything about attachments in Nautilus.

See http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2009-May/msg00058.html

I think what Svante is saying is that the "bogus" MIME type is known
only to Evolution: it's the content encoding on the email message.  Once
Evolution saves the file to disk, it's just a normal PDF file.  When
Nautilus properties are opened, they use file(1) or whatever to discover
the type of the file and call it application/pdf, NOT the bogus MIME
type it was sent with in the email message.

So, how do you manage this bogus MIME type?

Isn't there any MIME type editor available?  It would be SOOOO much
simpler, in many cases.

vi   ;)

not sure if making changes as noted here would make any difference or
not, but might be worth a shot.

http://www.mail-archive.com/evolution-list gnome org/msg11616.html

Yes, this is EXACTLY why there should be some tool for managing this: it
would understand both the local defaults.list and the system-wide one,
and be able to update the local one (and, if run as root, perhaps the
system wide one--or maybe it could be integrated with .

I can hardly believe that no one has created such a useful thing already
as part of the standard Gnome desktop.

I looked around through my Ubuntu repositories and found assoGiate which
looks like pretty much what I was looking for.  If you have that in your
repository you should give it a try... nice!

You can edit the application/pdf mime type and create new aliases for it
such as application/acrobat; that should solve your problem.