[Evolution] Evolution painfully slow

Evolution (evolution-2.26.3-1.fc11.x86_64 running under Fedora-11) is
painfully slow performing some actions.  In particular, I've been
clearing out the the 1579 deleted messages in my Junk folder for the
past hour.  The status (bottom) line has been displaying:
        Updating Search Folders for 'On This Computer:/phred' (...)
during this whole time.  All data is local to my computer; no external
servers, databases, etc.

Has anyone else seen this or a similar problem?  Any ideas what's going
on?