Re: [Evolution] How to make Evolution remember its main window size--revisited

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 17:38 -0400, George Reeke wrote:
On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 18:59 -0700, N B Day wrote:

I think at this point I'd leave Gnome entirely for TWM or KDE or
whatever else you have on your machine, shut down gconftool-2 with
"gconftool-2 --shutdown", do the same for evolution, "evolution
--force-shutdown",  and then try setting my desired values with
gconf-editor.

Interesting idea, but no cigar.  I don't have KDE installed, TWM
is installed but I have never used it and when I do try to start
it up it fails with a message that it cannot open the display.
I have no interest in debugging this problem.

Anyway, what reason is there to think gconf-editor would work
outside the gnome environment for which it was designed?  This
seems a bit of a stab in the dark.

This is an aside, not related to your main issue, but more of an FYI.
Many window managers will happily pick up your GNOME or KDE settings if
you load them.  Some window managers even make it easy:  Openbox, for
example, ships with example autostart scripts (which you can use or not
use as you see fit) that will start processes needed to load your GNOME
or KDE settings.  In those scenarios, gconf-editor will work outside
GNOME, though only because you are, technically, running parts of the
GNOME DE.  In theory, any window manager that adheres to free desktop
standards should be able to utilize GNOME or KDE settings.  In practice,
of course, numerous other factors come into play.

--
Michael M.