[Evolution] evolution issues: slow and frequent crashing

Greetings,
I'm experiencing frequent issues with Evolution 2.24.3.  I'm running on Ubuntu 8.10. and using IMAP to read mail on a Lotus Notes server.

The main problem is it's extremely slow when doing functions such as "Generating message list", "Fetching summary information", "Storing folder" etc...
The other problem is when selecting a group of messages and trying to move them to another folder will peg the cpu, forcing me to reboot.

This problem seems to have started in the last couple of evolution updates.  I've searched the archives but didn't find anything helpful.   I'd appreciate any pointers anyone can provide.
Thanks,
John