From: tlillqvist gmail com [tlillqvist gmail com] On Behalf Of Tor Lillqvist [tml iki fi]
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:56 AM
To: Dustin Hamilton
Cc: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Evolution for Windows: wont start

Tor - thank you for the help, that did it... after that I was able to launch the program, although it
appears to keep a command-prompt window open?

It's not really a "command prompt" window, as there is not command
interpreter (cmd.exe) there, it's just Evolution's windows. The
correct term is console window. But at least you didn't call it a "DOS
box"... This is because the evolution executables are marked as
"console applications" and not "gui applications". (This is just a
field in the executable header, it has no effect on whether the
program can have a gui or not.)

That the console window appears is a completely trivial minor point
from a developer point of view, and extremely easy to get rid of when
building Evolution, just a -mwindows switch is needed, or even
afterwards if one has the suitable tool editbin.exe. To end-users the
console window seems odd, of course. The main reason why Evolution
still is by default built on Windows as a console application (i.e.
which opens a console window is because it makes it easier to see
error messages and warnings. But yeah, the default really should be
changed.

--tml