Re: [Evolution] Evo crashes on start after today's Ubuntu updates

Thanks, David. I will try this when I get into work.

By the way, I tested by installing evolution on a kubuntu hardy box yesterday. No crashes.

-----Original Message-----

From:  "David L" <idht4n gmail com>
Subj:  Re: [Evolution] Evo crashes on start after today's Ubuntu updates
Date:  Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:06 pm
Size:  1021 bytes
To:  "Art Alexion" <art rhd org>
cc:  "evolution-list gnome org" <evolution-list gnome org>

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Art Alexion <art rhd org> wrote:
<snip>
strace evolution yeilds

strace != backtrace.

OK.  Thanks.  Might it have been more helpful if you had offered how to provide a backtrace instead of just
that statement?

One way to get a backtrace is to run from within gdb:

gdb path_to_evolution
run

Then, when the crash occurs, type bt at the gdb command prompt.
If the crash already happened and you can't
reproduce it, it will sometimes dump a core that can be used the
get a backtrace with gdb.  In that case, run gdb like this:

gdb path_to_evolution path_to_core_file

Then use the same bt command to get a backtrace.  The backtrace is more
meaningful if you have debug info installed.  How to do that is a
function of your
distribution.

I think the gnome bug buddy sometimes prevents the core dump and
then itself crashes.  There is a way to disable it, but I can't
remember it off the
top of my head.

Cheers...

            David