Re: [Evolution] How do you install 2.29 on Ubuntu 9.10?

I would like to know how to offer this, my knowledge of Outlook and the
business users needs, to the Evolution team on a regular basis.  Not just by
putting a bug in Bugzilla.  Because technically, offering advice for new
features is not a bug.  And of course, sometimes it takes multiple
conversations and screenshots for someone else to understand what I'm trying
to convey.

Bugzilla is not only used for bugs - there is a class of "bug" called a
"feature request" that allows you to request a feature or a usability
improvement.  But the bottom line is that you have to compete for very
limited developer time in order to implement new features - and that
competition is against bug fixes, backend performance improvements,
keeping up with other changes to the underlying GUI and so on.  There
has also recently on this list been some calls for a freeze on new
features in order to give time to try and squash some persistent bugs
and usability problems.

What I'm trying to get across is that your must-have show-stopper
Outlook look-a-like business orientated feature may not get implemented
on a time scale you think is suitable.  However, if it *is* something
that the community thinks is important, then you will get support for it
on the bugzilla ticket and there is more chance the developers will look
kindly on it.  Also, if it *is* something that is important, then there
is likely to already be a feature request for it and the best thing is
to add your voice to it there.

However a word of warning - requesting a feature because it's in Outlook
might be counter productive - Evolution is *not* an Outlook clone, it
doesn't pretend to be one.  This is not MS bashing,  it's not a
Thunderbird or kmail or whatever clone either.

P.