Re: [Evolution] How do you install 2.29 on Ubuntu 9.10?

I'd be willing to try OpenSuse for that reason.  I'll load it this weekend.

Bryan

-----Original Message-----
From: John Lange [mailto:john johnlange ca]
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:41 AM
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] How do you install 2.29 on Ubuntu 9.10?

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 14:28 -0800, Kip Warner wrote:
On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 22:07 +0000, evolution-list-request gnome org
wrote:
        I want to try 2.29 to see what it has improved upon.  I have
        little
        experience with Linux.  I have Ubuntu 9.10.  I have downloaded
        the file
        and have extracted it.  However, I find no install or setup
        file as you
        would in Windows.  I still can't understand why in Linux such
        simple
        things are made so darn complicated.  How can I figure this
        program out
        if I can't even figure out how to install it?

        Bryan

Sadly, Bryan, you and I are in the same boat. We have to wait for our
package maintainer to push the new packages into the apt servers.
However, you might find debs somewhere out on the web but they probably
have newer runtime dependencies then we will find in the universe /
multiverse.

Sorry, this is a bit of a troll but...

If you were using OpenSUSE, you could just search the build service and
then "one-click install" the latest version which would automatically
add the repository and install the package.

http://software.opensuse.org/search

The point being, if you really need to use packages before they are
pushed into the official distribution, OpenSUSE has very easy mechanism
for that (one-click).

Ironically though, 2.29 is not yet a package on the system so I guess my
advocacy is self-defeating. :| Should be available in a few days though.

--
John Lange
http://www.johnlange.ca