Re: [Evolution] Disaster strikes -- 4000 messages deleted

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 17:42 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 14:35 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
This may possibly be related to some maintenance I did on evolution
just before this happened, namely emptying the trash (File->Empty
Trash) and vacuuming the database (as shown at the bottom).

Did you follow the instructions on the tin, i.e. run Vacuum with Evo
completely shut down?

I don't remember, but I suspect evolution *was* running, since a look at
the folders looks like this:

        $ pwd
        /home/jonrysh/.evolution/mail/local
        $ ll phred*
        -rw-------. 1 jonrysh jonrysh 133559122 Aug 24 14:13 phred
        -rw-r--r--. 1 jonrysh jonrysh       211 Aug 24 14:47 phred.cmeta
        -rw-------. 1 jonrysh jonrysh   1839104 Aug 24 14:13 phred.ibex.index
        -rw-------. 1 jonrysh jonrysh   5494684 Aug 24 14:13 phred.ibex.index.data
and
        $ less phred
shows that all the messages seem to be there; at least the first and
last messages have the right dates.

If this had not been a particularly important folder, I wouldn't have
panicked, as I did, and would have asked what now seems to be the right
question: How do I rebuild the data base?

Thanks to all for your help - jon